4 weeks into law school and I am alive and well! I can’t believe it’s already been a month, I guess time flies when you’re having “fun.”
So far I can honestly say it hasn’t been bad. All of the horror stories you hear are over-hyped and obnoxious. During the semester you do the same thing everyday. I’ve read hundreds of boring pages, I’ve been cold-called, and I’ve spent hours in the library. It’s boring, but it’s not hard……yet.
From what I hear the most difficult times of the semester are the days prior to legal writing due dates and finals. I haven’t experienced those days yet, but when I do I’ll be sure to revisit the topic.
Here’s some law school do’s & dont’s if you’re starting next year.
- Don’t even think about doing 0L prep. In my opinion, it won’t do much good.
- You’ll probably forget most of what you learn and professors teach what they want to teach. If they choose not to cover adverse possession in property, reading about it over the summer would be a complete waste. Why spend your free time reading when you could be laying out on the beach?
- Dont think that working in a law firm will make you a better student.
- Having a background on a legal subject can be nice, but it doesn’t mean you’ll get an A in the class. Everyone starts out on the same playing field, what you do from there is what counts.
- Do make friends prior to starting.
- Most schools have a Facebook page for incoming students, use it! You’ll be glad you did when you don’t have to sit next to a stranger on the first day of class.
- Do RELAX. It wont be as bad as it seems!
I’m feeling good so far, bring it on law school!