4 weeks into law school and I am alive and well! I can’t believe it’s already been a month, I guess time flies when you’re having “fun.”
So far I can honestly say it hasn’t been bad. All of the horror stories you hear are over-hyped and obnoxious. During the semester you do the same thing everyday. I’ve read hundreds of boring pages, I’ve been cold-called, and I’ve spent hours in the library. It’s boring, but it’s not hard……yet.
From what I hear the most difficult times of the semester are the days prior to legal writing due dates and finals. I haven’t experienced those days yet, but when I do I’ll be sure to revisit the topic.
Here’s some law school do’s & dont’s if you’re starting next year.
- Don’t even think about doing 0L prep. In my opinion, it won’t do much good.
- You’ll probably forget most of what you learn and professors teach what they want to teach. If they choose not to cover adverse possession in property, reading about it over the summer would be a complete waste. Why spend your free time reading when you could be laying out on the beach?
- Dont think that working in a law firm will make you a better student.
- Having a background on a legal subject can be nice, but it doesn’t mean you’ll get an A in the class. Everyone starts out on the same playing field, what you do from there is what counts.
- Do make friends prior to starting.
- Most schools have a Facebook page for incoming students, use it! You’ll be glad you did when you don’t have to sit next to a stranger on the first day of class.
- Do RELAX. It wont be as bad as it seems!
I’m feeling good so far, bring it on law school!
Purchasing books in law school is no different from undergrad, I was always trying to save a dollar! My law school budgets almost $2,000 a year just for books! This semester bought 7 books, one of which was a supplement that was only sold in my law school bookstore -_-
I don’t know about you all but I don’t have that much money to spend on some paper & binding. So, what options do you have? Continue reading “Books, Books and More Books”
♥ I GOT MY SCHEDULE ♥
As the title of this post says, I got my class schedule the other day! It was such an exciting moment, I immediately took a screenshot & sent it to Brandon & Tisha. I was in the car dealership & everyone was wondering why I was jumping up and down haha.
So, here’s my schedule!
Contracts ♥ Property ♥ Legal Writing ♥ Legal Reserach ♥ Criminal Law
*Click the photo to enlarge
- What am I going to do with the 3 hours between class on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday (Read, duh)
- One of the other sections doesn’t have class on Fridays, I’m jealous
- No evening classes thank GOD!
Overall I’m really happy with my schedule, nothing absolutely horrible so I can deal. lol
I have about 3-4 posts that I’m really looking forward to uploading in the next few days. The past week has been CRAY! I’m packing all of my belongings into 5 boxes & hoping to fit them all in my car O_O.
Here’s what the next 20-25 days looks like:
July 18: Pack up & head to Palm Beach
July 19: Something big might be happening this day, I don’t want to jinx myself but I’ll fill you in on what goes down.
July 19-July 30th: Family time 💜
July 31: I officially move out & Brandon officially moves into his place!
Aug 1: Aug 7: Best friend time: www.bytisha.com 💜
Aug 8: GRADUATION
Aug 9: MY BIRTHDAYYYY
Aug 10th: Illinois
Okay, so I’m kinda busy. I will not be slacking on the blog posts though, so get excited!!
The process of choosing which law schools to apply to can be difficult. When my journey began, I based my choices on the most popular ranking system U.S. News Law School Rankings. Why? Because everyone always talked about how prestigious Harvard is, and how smart Yale students are. What I failed to realize however, was in MY order of importance prestige was at the bottom. Continue reading “How Important Are Law School Rankings?”
I was in the process of writing a really nice post for the blog today when I got an email with some disappointing news.
After crying it out for a few minutes, I put my frustration into action & I think I’ve figured things out. I wont get into detail about it just yet, but hopefully by next week I’ll be able to update you all.
Every now & then things happen in life that remind you, life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
Life throws curveballs, you just gotta learn how to catch them.
It does, I wont sugar coat it. It was the most stressful experience of my life (that’s a bit dramatic, I know). To tell you all the truth, I rarely feel challenged in school. I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant, it’s just how I feel. I’ve always gotten A’s, I’ve always been a good student, and I rarely come across subjects that I find difficult. (Yay, law school?) So when it came time to study for the LSAT I thought it would be just another exam…boy was I wrong!
Continue reading “Studying For The LSAT Sucks! Here’s How to Cope”